Organization Description: Animal Place is an animal rights organization promoting the complete protection of farmed animals and a vegan lifestyle. We operate a 600-acre sanctuary in Grass Valley, CA that serves as a permanent safe haven for farmed animals and an education center. Adjacent to the Grass Valley Sanctuary is our Guest House, which houses visitors and volunteers. We also have a 12-acre rescue and adoption facility in Petaluma, CA, which provides a temporary home for adoptable farmed animals, with a special emphasis on chickens from the egg industry.
Volunteer Title: Animal Care Volunteer
Location: Grass Valley, CA
Volunteer Job Description: The Animal Care Volunteers assist in the care of 350+ animals (pigs, chickens, cows, turkeys, sheep, goats, rabbits, donkeys) at the sanctuary under supervision of the Animal Care Team. Animal Care Volunteers assist with barn cleaning, heat checks and socialization of the animals. Volunteers will be scheduled alongside an Animal Place staff member.
- Passionate about working for and with farmed animals
- Good animal behavior and observation skills
- Strong communication and listening skills
- Able to follow detailed instructions
- Reliable and dependable
- Able to work outdoors in hot weather conditions (average high is 95-105F)
- Able to lift 10 pounds and perform manual labor
- Work well with a variety of people
- Cleaning duties: learn how to maintain animal quarters for potbellied pigs, sheep, goats, chickens, turkeys, and rabbits
- Maintaining shelter areas: learn what is involved in maintaining the animal care component of a sanctuary (i.e. storing feed, moving bales of straw and hay, doing laundry, sorting produce, scrubbing feed and water bowls, cleaning perches).
Hours/Days: 2-3 hour shifts in the morning, ideally 8:30am-11:30am. You can sign up for one or two shifts or make it a weekly routine!
Start Date: Immediate
How to Apply: Send email to [email protected] describing your interest in this volunteer role and your availability.
Animal Place is fully committed to equal employment opportunity, and company policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, creed, sex, gender, religion, registered domestic partner status, sexual orientation, marital status, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, medical condition, ancestry, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws.